MENU
  • Chapters
    • Timeline
    • Religion in the Classroom
    • Adam Teuscher:  Life as a Mormon at Head Royce
    • Why We Don't Talk About Religion
    • A Teaching Perspective
    • Religion by the Numbers

Part 1: Religion

January 14, 2015

In Part One of our exploration of the diversity of though at Head-Royce, we explore the topic of religion at the School. Religion can be a touchy subject anywhere, but do Head Royce students feel comfortable talking about their religious beliefs at school? Even though there are many religious students at the School, it seems that most decide to keep their views on the down low. We ask, why do our students tend to keep their religious views to themselves? And is this the school atmosphere we want at Head Royce? The School is supposed to be open and accepting of all views; we are not part of a mob-acracy, as Mr. Reinke would say. With these ideas in mind, we tried to explore religion in many aspects of the School, such as stories of students who usually keep their pious thoughts to themselves when at school, or how teachers feel about the topic. Overall, this multi-media article is designed to bring up questions about the way the school looks and thinks about religion. Comment below with your thoughts!

religionwebmenu2

Team: CJ Novogradac (’15), Linnea Engstrom (’15), Patrick Toppin (’15), Anish Mokha (’16), Zach Mintz (’17), and Miriam Goldgeil (’17). Supervised by the one and only Andy Spear.

Religion in the Curriculum

Note: Cultural units in the language or art classes not included.

Religion in the Classroom

Luis Terriquez

Religion in the Classroom

This piece provides student viewpoints of the prevalence of religion in classes at the School. In exploring the relationship between scholarly pursuits and religion, students Kevin Feng and Donovan Redd expounded on their previous experiences with religion inside the classroom.

Adam Teuscher:  Life as a Mormon at Head Royce

Senior Adam Teuscher, a devout Mormon by most standards,  talks about his experiences at the School and how his views have been shaped by the Church he has attended since he was a boy.  Topics include acceptance by both his friends and his community, the stigma of being Mormon, and reconciling conflicting beliefs coming at him every angle.

Religious Perspective: Why We Tend to Avoid the Topic of Religion

Religion in the Classroom: A Teaching Perspective

English 11 teacher David Enelow, History teacher Paul Scott, and AP Biology teacher Jen Brakeman share how they approach teaching religious topics or texts in the classroom, and if they’ve experienced times in the past when a student’s belief’s conflict with the material.

Religion by the Numbers

We collected data from 39 randomly chosen Upper School students about their own religious beliefs and practices and their perceptions about those of the larger school community.