Golden State Warriors

Anish Mokha, Executive Editor

The Raiders and the 49ers. The Giants and the A’s. It’s safe to say Bay Area sports fans have much to argue about in regards to allegiance for their teams. Through all of this rivalry and aggression there is one common ground Bay Area sports fans can reach: the Golden State Warriors. Even if you are an NBA fan or not, it’s hard to forget the Warriors’ exciting and unexpected championship season last year. Last year, the championship was highlighted by Stephen Curry winning the MVP award over a very salty and Lil B-cursed James Harden. An even bigger bonus from last season was that Andre Iguodala, whose son attends the School, was named MVP of the NBA Finals. I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to say that last season was a dream for most Warriors fans.

After an offseason that saw the unfortunate departure of long time Warrior David Lee and small additions like draft pick Kevin Looney and center Jason Thompson, the Warriors were able to retain most of their championship squad from last year. Time and time again, many championship teams are not as motivated to build off their success from the previous year. The Dubs happen to be doing just the opposite.

Through the first four games of the season, the Warriors are undefeated and are playing like a team who is willing to silence all the people from Cleveland, Ohio who called last season’s run “lucky.” If the 4-0 record doesn’t tell the whole story, the Warriors have won each game by an average of 25 points. Even better for Warriors fans, the Houston Rockets lost each of their first three games of the season by 20 points. In this amazing opening stretch of the season, Stephen Curry is averaging an astounding 37 points per game. Any questions of Chef Curry not deserving the MVP have effectively been put to rest.

Although the Warriors haven’t left off from last year’s amazing season, fans around the Bay Area can only hope they sustain such a high level of play.

UPDATE: Since this article was written, the Warriors won three games against the Clippers, Nuggets, and Kings. With a 7-0 record, this makes them the only undefeated team in the NBA.