The World Series

John Novogradac

The World Series is a widely known sports event that consists of the best two baseball teams of that year.  The World Series is best out of seven games so the first team to win four games is the victor. This year, the teams were the Kansas City Royals and the New York Mets. Even though the World Series can go to seven games, this series only went to five. The Royals won four of the five games, and the Mets won the remaining game. The first game was on Tuesday, October 27th, and the Royals won five to four.  The second game was on Wednesday, October 28th, and the Royals won seven to one.  The third game was on Friday, October 30th, and the Royals won nine to three. The fourth game was on Saturday, October 31th, and the Mets won five to three.  The fifth and final game was on November 1st, and the Royals won seven to two.  During the fifth game, the Mets were winning by two runs in the top of the ninth inning, and the Royals hit a double with a runner on second, who scored.  Later in the inning, a batter hit a ground ball to the first baseman with a runner on third base, who also scored. The game then went to extra inning. Extra inning happens when two teams are tied at the end of a game; they then play as many innings as it takes for one of the teams to win. The Mets and Royals played three extra innings, for in the last inning, the Royals hit two singles and two doubles, thereby scoring five more runs and beating the Mets seven to two.