The Hawk's Eye

A Review of 2015

A.J. Stella

With 2015 over, there is a lot of excitement for the new year. Before we get carried away celebrating and fulfilling New Year’s resolutions, it is important we reflect on all the School’s greatest moments of 2015.

Firstly, the School ran yet another successful game of Assassin last spring. Assassin has become an Upper School tradition, and last year, Senior Samit Lamba took first prize.

Samit was the last man standing and thus won two free Prom tickets to the School’s important event: Prom. Prom 2015 was the first for some Juniors and the last for the Seniors.

The next big event occurred when the Golden State Warriors won the 2015 NBA Championship, filling the School with excitement. Students and faculty alike were ecstatic to witness their favorite and local basketball team win it all.

At the end of last school year, the class of 2015 graduated. The memory is bittersweet, happy, as we are to see them go to college, we are sad to see them go.

We also had to say goodbye to a few faculty members: Art History teacher Ms. Metz, Chemistry teacher Ms. Lehman, and Computer Science teacher Mr. Gregg. All three had worked for the Upper School for what seemed like ages and were cherished by their students.

Head-of-School, Mr. Lake, unexpectedly left at the end of last year. Middle School Principal Linda Hoopes agreed to act as temporary Head until the School found an interim Head-of-School. The School decided on Ms. Land, and a wise choice it was. She had previously worked at the School and truly cares about the students and faculty.

The end of the 2014-2015 School year led to the start of this one. After one semester, we have made some great memories, one being the Fall Play Distracted, put on by Drama teacher Ms. Ray. Contradictory to its name, it held audiences’ interest night after night, and was a huge success.

Another monumental event in 2015 ocurred when the School went to court against its neighbors over an enrollment dispute. The debate lasted hours, but in the end, the School came prevailed, and was able to raise its enrollment by agreeing to a list of concessions.

Along with the annual Assassin game, there is also a Turkey Huntin November. This year, the lucky winner was Senior Olivia Lum, who found the most pictures of turkeys around campus. Her first place prize was a turkey, provided by Upper School Dean of Students and English teacher, Barry Barankin.

2015 saw one of the most successful volleyball teams in the School’s history. Not only did the team win BCL East, but it was the first year they were awarded the one seed in the NCS tournament. Being the one seed, they hosted the championship, but unfortunately lost in the finals. Nonetheless, the team had an extremely impressive season.

Last, but certainly not least, Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens premiered at the end of 2015. Like the Warriors winning the championship, the movie resulted in a buzz around campus. Almost all the students and faculty were talking about its premiere, even weeks in advance. The film received a lot of hype prior to its release, and having attended its premiere, I can say it was well-deserved.

2015 was a great year, and hopefully, 2016 will be even better. As we look to the new year and attempt to keep our resolutions, it is always important to reflect on our great memories from 2015.