Weirdest Super Bowl Commercials

Saodi Bullie, Reporter

Though the Super Bowl was not the game it was highly publicized to be, its Commercials were definitely memorable. Whether they were advertising the upcoming movies of 2016, which included the long-awaited Independence Day 2: Resurgence, or included Seth Rogen and Amy Schumer promoting their Super Bowl After Party, the commercials this year did not disappoint. However, a few commercials made people feel uneasy due to their baffling sales pitches, creepy mascot, or just overall weirdness. Though there were very entertaining commercials, I will highlight the oddest commercials.

When I watch the Super Bowl, the commercial I always look forward to is the Doritos commercial, not because it has a heartwarming story, like the Budweiser commercial with the horse and the puppy, but because of the length the people go to in order to eat the bag of Doritos. However, this year, the Doritos commercial went a little overboard. The skit took place in a Medical Diagnostic Imaging Center where a woman is getting an ultrasound. The father realizes that the baby’s movement follows the Doritos Chip he holds. Once the father throws the Doritos chip away from the baby, the baby jumps out of the womb towards the Doritos chip. When I asked Freshman Justin Feldman about the commercial, he agreed, saying, “The Doritos one with the baby was funny, but when you think about it, it is just weird.”

While it is true that the Doritos commercial was odd, the weirdest commercial was definitely Mountain Dew. The commercial starts off with three men on a couch talking about how they were not doing anything. All of a sudden, a creature, part pug, part monkey, and part baby strolls in and hands them some Mountain Dew, and they start dancing. This commercial had one of the weirdest mascots and like Senior Taya Hardy said, “It was just disturbing.” It is true that the actual game is the most important part of Super Bowl Sunday, the commercials are what keep the mood during the Super Bowl party at ease. If the commercials are not funny, then what is the point of watching them? I expect better commercials next Super Bowl.