Spiritless Spirit Days

Madeleine Henry, Reporter

Although spirit masters Natasha Skov and Henry Yeary have worked hard to increase spirit within the community, the Upper School is still seriously lacking in spirit. This absence is especially noticeable during spirit week when it appears that less than half of the student body participates in each planned spirit day. This year’s spirit week included many interesting dress-up days such as zoo day and Skype interview day, where students dressed formal on their top halves and kept pajamas on their bottom halves. With so many fun, new spirit days throughout the week, it makes no sense why few students participated. Spirit master Henry Yeary had a unique take on why people do not dress up for spirit week: “Albert Einstein actually did a study on it, and his findings allowed him to create quite a complex hypothesis. He concluded that the people who don’t participate think that they are for some reason above it and are too cool for it when, in reality, those people tend to be very boring, bland, and self-obsessed.”

Another theory is people do not dress up because they think it is too immature. Some may consider it “uncool” or “silly” to dress up as a superhero or as a teacher. Natasha Skov, the Upper School’s other spirit master mirrored these sentiments citing three main reasons why students do not participate in spirit weeks: “Some people genuinely forget, people don’t have spirit items to dress up in, and lastly, and most importantly, people find it uncool and don’t want to “embarrass” themselves. This last one is the one that really bothers me, but I do not know how to solve [it].  I guess it’s just a big difference in personalities? I don’t understand why people choose not to have fun. It confuses me.” Another reason is that students simply do not care. This fact is sad but in some cases true. The whole point of spirit week is to display school pride, and when students do not participate, it speaks to their feelings about the School. Students also get tired of dressing up as the same things every year. When spirit weeks have the same themes over and over, it takes the fun out this week.  However, school spirit should not be something to dread; it should be a fun tradition in which every student should partake. It is a great way to support the school community!