Preview of Day of Dialogue

Madeleine Henry, Reporter

As many Upper School students may remember that on March 31 we learned a lot about our community and the masks we wear. As a precursor to the actual Day of Dialogue in April, various community members including faculty and students set up a day for the community to start thinking about these important issues in our community. Ashanti Branch from the Ever Forward Club and Charis Denison of Pranja Consulting. Both individuals helped open a dialogue between students and faculty about the masks members of the community wear.

Both Branch and Denison led groups of students in activities that many believe brought us closer as a community.  In Branch’s group as well as Denison’s group community members sat in small groups filling in the statement: “You can’t tell by looking at me that ____.” While initially people were afraid to open up in such a seemingly public way, by the end of the sessions people were sharing some deep thoughts as well as heavy parts of their lives that they tend to keep hidden behind their masks. It was truly amazing how two outsiders, Branch and Denison, were able to come into our community and pry open the shell we find ourselves in quite often.

Hopefully the events of Thursday helped students and faculty better prepare for the actual Day of Dialogue soon to come.