Final Exam Tips

Dssart studio

run

Alina Tiemroth, Reporter

Quizlet and Flashcards: Flashcards and/or quizlets are helpful in language, math, and science classes. For language you could use them for vocabulary or conjugations. In math, they are perfect for equations, principles, or rules. You can also use them for science concepts.

Study Guides: While you could use study guides in any class, I find them especially useful in history. There are a few steps in making a good study guide. First, decide if you want to make your own, or work with some classmates (I recommend that if you do work with classmates, that you keep the group small). Then, either use a terms list provided by your teacher, or go through your notes to find facts and concepts you think you need to study. Type up the terms and their definitions/answers on a google document. Finally, print out the study guide and go through it. I like to use a piece of paper to cover up the answers while go through all of the terms. Mark the ones you get and the ones you don’t. After continuing on for a couple pages, return to the concepts you marked up and go through them until you get them.

Practice Problems: For math and science classes, I recommend doing a lot of practice problems. In science, I usually study from the worksheets we have done throughout the semester. Just go to the portal, and print out the problems. Do this until you think you have mastered each type of problem. If you can’t find certain examples on the portal, go through your notes to find some exercises you can study with. In math, I like to review the different chapters we have studied, and write down the key concepts from each one. Once you have done that, you can find practice problems either on the portal, your textbook, or your notes.

Concentration: It is important to give yourself breaks throughout your studying; however, try not to make them too long so that you don’t get distracted. While working, I use colors, tabs, etc, to make all the studying a little more interesting.

Food: Study snacks are always a plus. Although we all crave junk food, try and include some healthy snacks in your diet. Shape Magazine says that vegetables, tea, nuts, oats, lentils, herbs, grass fed beef, and eggs are some of the best foods for your brain.
Exam Day: While studying for my subject test, I came across a tip from my textbook. It recommended you to read something in the morning before your test. You want your brain to wake up before you start your exam; you do not want your final to be the first thing you read in the morning. This way you will be more alert and have more brain power. Equally important, wear something comfortable and warm, as it can get cold in the gym.