Greek Festival Recap

Zack Mintz

The 44th Oakland Greek Festival was a blast. Held at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Ascension on Lincoln Avenue, just up the street from the School, the three-day festival ran all day and well into each night of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Activities ranged from wine tasting, watching authentic Greek dancing, listening to Greek music, and enjoying a plethora of traditional Greek foods.

I attended the festival for the first time this year and was not disappointed. As a lover of Greek food, especially gyros, I had high expectations. In terms of food, the festival surpassed them. Everywhere I looked, a different type of food was steaming on plates, just waiting to be purchased. I chose a gyro, half-lamb and half-sheep, which was complemented by a special Greek sauce and wrapped in a pita. I have eaten gyros for years at a great cafe in Orinda (Petra Cafe, 10/10 would recommend), and I can confidently say that I have never eaten a better one. If you love food, this festival is a goldmine.

All around, the event was a great time. The artwork and decorations created a relaxing environment in which friends or families could watch performances, eat food, or simply hang out in the sunshine. Unfortunately, this terrific festival only runs annually. If you did not get a chance to attend this year, I would highly recommend checking it out next spring; you won’t regret it!