The Gap Year

Cormac Scanlan

Mitchell Bloemker, Reporter

Recently, a number of Seniors have started taking non-traditional paths in their education: taking a year between high school and college to pursue outside of school interests. This process, most commonly referred to as a “gap year”, has allowed many students to explore both who they are as people and the world before going away to college. Jerry Feist, for example, is taking a gap year to pursue music, something that he says he wants to focus on. Jerry commented, “my band is trying to go on tour next fall, so hopefully I’ll be doing that for 4-6 weeks or so.” Jerry is also planning on potentially going on an extensive backpacking trip during his gap year. Another current senior, Malcolm Yeary, is taking a year to pursue a huge variety of subjects, such as outdoor experiences in South America to trips to Thailand (to help with sea turtle conservation), New Zealand, and Australia. Yeary says that he “suggests that everyone take [a gap year]. I like mine because I have so many passions outside of school that I have wanted to dedicate a lot of time to in order to hone them, and this year will give me the opportunity to do so.” The School’s administration supports the idea of taking a gap year as a way to create memorable experiences and prepare students for college.