Rise and Shine

Nathan Johnson, Reporter

Every day we wake up groggy and tired and exhausted at the even the thought of a seven-hour school day. I think that at least one of the primary reasons is that school starts so early. At the School we start every day at 8:25 a.m. This start time is not at all abnormal. In fact, the averaged start time for public schools is 7:59 in the United States. Now you may be thinking, “Why does this matter? Everyone gets up early, stop whining about it.” While I agree that this is far from the most pressing issue in the world, there are consequences to getting up this early. According to a CDC study, “adolescents who do not get enough sleep are more likely to be overweight; not engage in daily physical activity; suffer from depressive symptoms; engage in unhealthy risk behaviors such as drinking, smoking tobacco, and using illicit drugs; and perform poorly in school. However, insufficient sleep is common among high school students, with less than one-third of U.S. high school students sleeping at least eight hours on school nights.” Clearly, not getting enough sleep can be a huge problem. To avoid this one might say, “go to bed early”. As great as that may sound, between homework, sport, and other extracurricular activities going to sleep early is easier said than done. One possible solution would be to start school later. Other schools like Oakland Tech have changed school start time to 9:00 a.m. I would personally not mind Head-Royce starting school even later. A drawback of this system is the initial change in schedule. It would be seemingly quite difficult for a change like this to go through because it is likely that many parents and teachers would push back against the idea. If school started later, it would have to end later as well. For parents, getting their kids to school would change because it may conflict with their work hours. For some parents, no longer could they drop their kids off at school on the way to work. For teachers, no longer would they get quite the same amazing hours of getting off at 3:20 p.m. Those in charge of decisions like these at the School must decide where the School’s priorities lie. Do they lie with the education of its students? Or do they lie with the interests of teachers and parents?