The Hawk's Eye

Homecoming Recap

Claire Rose, Reporter

Homecoming: a beloved tradition for high schools across the country, but not at the School, until now. When electing Spirit Masters at the end of last year, Seniors Maddie Dyke and AJ Stella offered many ideas including a homecoming dance for the coming school year, and they delivered on their promise.

On October 7th, the Upper School held its first homecoming, with an entrance fee of $15. That price was reduced if one attended the sports events earlier in the day. Preluding the Homecoming was a home Varsity Soccer game against College Preparatory School, one of the biggest games of the season according to Stella, Co-Captain of the men’s varsity soccer team. There was also a home Varsity Volleyball game against Valley Christian High School. Those who attended the games received a voucher for a discount of five dollars.

Instead of a pep-rally beforehand, the Upper School will had an assembly dedicated to family-feud style games, such as sibling rivalry competitions and more. The dance was a Pseudo-Hawkins dance, which meant students who identify as male could not ask people who identify as females. Stella stated, “We are encouraging freshmen to go with whomever they want. It’s their first High School dance; there’s no pressure to find a date.”

Dyke also reminded the Upper School that it was not a formal dance. Instead, students were encouraged to come dressed in grade-wide colors: black from freshmen, blue for sophomores, red for juniors, and white for seniors. The dance was a huge success and will likely become a fall tradition.