The Drought

Grace Williams, Reporter

California’s ongoing drought has continued to remain a huge issue throughout the state. Severe droughts have extended along 43% of the state and have affected agriculture, wildlife, and the well being of many citizens. There are many more factors that are adding to the drought besides the lack of rainfall. Toxic algal blooms have infected over 40 lakes and rivers throughout the state of California in 2016, along with extreme amounts of pollution and trash. Water conservation percentages have been dropping, and more and more people are continuing to waste water. The ocean temperatures are extremely high, and the Pacific Ocean has responded very negatively to greenhouse gases. A study led by a UCLA researcher predicts that the drought could continue for centuries due to the problems in the ocean. Along with these issues, California also has to give water to our neighboring states such as Nevada and Arizona, two of the driest states in the country. The state also grows very water-demanding crops, such as almonds and grapes. We are especially known for our magnificent wine country in Napa Valley. Although very special, growing grapes in California has made our drought much worse. It takes 29 gallons to make one glass of wine! However, the state does not want to cease growing these crops because they are one of our highest sources of income. So, what can we do to help? Well, there are obviously many ways we can conserve water: shorter showers, stopping automatic sprinklers on our lawns and turning off the faucet while we brush our teeth. We can also make sure to check for leaks throughout our homes and fix them as necessary.  Any little thing that one can do to help save water will help much more than one might think. Every drop counts.