Is Someone in your Phone?

Genevieve Clay, Reporter

Can the NSA spy on you? Can the NSA or any hacker, gain access to your phone’s camera or even track your every move? Technically, yes. With the right skills, anyone can hack into your phone camera. The NSA could, theoretically, gain access to your phone or laptop camera if they felt so inclined. However, it is very rare that an ordinary civilian would be hacked; hackers usually target important government officials and celebrities. Just last Friday, the company Dyn, whose servers monitor and reroute internet traffic, experienced a massive cyber attack, leaving many major websites inaccessible to people across the US. The motives of Hackers vary, but some do it to access secret information and track the online activity of certain people. Hackers can also track your location through maps and apps that you allow to use your location. They can see where you spend most of your time and infer where your house and work/school is.

There are many ways you can prevent hackers from gaining access to your devices, specifically your phone. The most obvious one is to lock your phone whenever you are not using it. Additionally, having a more complicated password, that uses a mix of numbers capital letters and symbols, can increase a device’s security. Another way to prevent hacking is to turn on your phone’s tracker ability. This will detect when you are being tracked or hacked. One way to save all the data on your phone is to backup your phone regularly. Then, if your phone does get hacked, your will still have all your photos, contacts, and other important information stored away. If you’re super worried about someone hacking into your camera and watching you, simply cover the camera with a post it note or tape. This will prevent them from being able to see through the camera. Also, stay away from suspicious sites and links. Some sites will often have viruses or bugs that allow people to hack into your device. Finally, turning off access to your location on phone apps that don’t require it for navigational purposes is a good idea. This will insure that you are not being tracked. Despite all this, you should not be worried about being hacked as it is relatively uncommon.