The Hawk's Eye

Al Smith Dinner Highlights

Back to Article
Back to Article

Al Smith Dinner Highlights

Tai Tran, Reporter

The Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner, commonly known as the Al Smith Dinner, is an annual white tie fundraiser in the United States for Catholic charities supporting “the neediest children of the Archdiocese of New York, regardless of race, creed, or color.” It is organized by the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation in honor of Al Smith. This year, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump had a chance to exchange jokes about one another and poke fun at some of the other high profile guests in attendance. Both candidates maintained a relatively tame atmosphere that was in stark contrast to that of their three prior debates. Clinton had a slew of quality jokes prepared for the dinner. So many, in fact, it made me want to vote for her writers.  Here are just a few of my favorites:

“This is such a special event, that I took a break from my rigorous nap schedule to be here.”

“But getting through these three debates with Donald has to count as a miracle.”

“Since this is a friendly dinner, Donald, feel free, at any time, to stand up and say ‘Wrong.’

While i’m talking.”

“Come to think of it, it’s amazing that i’m up here after Donald. I didn’t think he would be ok with a peaceful transition of power.”

“Donald, after listening to your speech, I will also enjoy listening to Mike Pence deny you ever gave it.”

“It is great also to see Mayor Bloomberg here. It’s a shame he’s not speaking tonight I’m curious to hear what a billionaire has to say.

Trump had some quality jokes of his own about. His jokes were more lighthearted than Clinton’s.  My favorite quotes from Donald are as follows:

“He used to love me when I was a Democrat.”

“Truth is, I am actually a modest person.  In fact, many people told me that modesty is my best quality.  Even better than my temperament.”

“In fact, just before taking the diocese, Hillary accidentally bumped into me and she very civilly said, ‘Pardon Me.’”

“After listening to Hillary rattle on and on, I don’t think so badly of Rosie O’donnell anymore.”

“This is the first time ever, ever that Hillary is sitting down and speaking to major corporate leaders and not getting paid for it.”

“Michelle Obama gives a speech and everyone loves it. It’s fantastic. They think she’s absolutely great. My wife, Melania, give the exact, same speech and people get on her case.”

CBS news has two great highlight videos from the Dinner in case you want to check it out yourself:

Trump Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylrOL7d4Q9I

Clinton Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN75cdCGHe4