The World Series: A Game by Game Breakdown

Nathan Johnson, Reporter

In game one at Progressive Field in Cleveland, the Indians’ Corey Kluber threw a 6+ inning gem with 9 K’s (strikeouts), while the Indians offense was powered by catcher, Roberto Perez’s two homers. One of the homers was a three-run home run off Cubs’ ace Jon Lester. Relievers, Andrew Miller and Cody Allen, held the Cubs at bay and secured the shutout as the Indians won 6-0, taking a 1-0 lead in the series.
In game two, it was the Cubs’ hitters that stole the show. Kyle Schwarber led the charge with a crucial RBI single in the third inning. Pitcher Trevor Bauer was removed from the game in the fourth inning as the Cubs powerful offense proved too much. Cubs’ pitcher Jake Arrieta dominated throwing a little over 5 no-hit innings. Aroldis Chapman eventually took over to close out the game. The Cubs won by a score of 5-1, evening the series at one a piece.
In game three, runs came at a premium as the series moved to Chicago’s historic Wrigley field. Both the Indians’ Josh Tomlin and the Cubs’ Kyle Hendricks pitched well; however, both were taken out after about four innings despite neither have given up any runs. With the help of an RBI single from the Indians’ Coco Crisp, the Indians took a 2-1 lead in the series.
In game four, Corey Kluber delivered a fantastic start for the Indians, out pitching the Cubs’ John Lackey. Despite giving up a run in the first inning, Kluber threw six strong innings before turning it over to the bullpen in the seventh. Lackey gave up three runs and the Cubs bullpen gave up four more en route to a 7-1 Indians win. Jason Kipnis was the offensive star hitting a three-run home run in the seventh inning. This win put the Indians up 3-1 in the series, one win away from becoming world champions.
In game five, the last game at Wrigley, the Cubs needed to win to stay alive. Again, the Cubs got to Trevor Bauer in the fourth inning. Meanwhile, Jon Lester pitched well for the Cubs, limiting the Indians to just two runs. In the seventh, Cubs manager Joe Maddon brought in closer Aroldis Chapman. Chapman came through, keeping the cubs’ championship hopes alive by sending the series back to Cleveland.
In game six, the Cubs were once again facing elimination. However, they had gained some momentum from their game five win. The Cubs’ offense was relentless scoring three runs in the first inning and four runs in the third inning. After the Cubs got ahead they never looked back and they won the game by a score of 9-3, forcing a game 7.
In game seven, the Indians had their ace Corey Kluber on the mound. For the second time in the series, Kluber was pitching on short rest and he only lasted a little over four innings. By the sixth inning, the Cubs gained a commanding 6-3 lead. However, Cubs closer Aroldis Chapman surrendered a game-tying three-run home run to Indians’ centerfielder Rajai Davis in the eighth inning. The whole baseball world was stunned as it seemed the Cubs were once again falling apart. After both offenses were blanked in the ninth inning, the game went into a seventeen minute rain delay before extra innings. During this rain delay the Cubs’ Jason Heyward called a team meeting in the clubhouse. He reminded the team of who they were and what they were there to do. The Cubs went out in the tenth inning and rallied. A double from Ben Zobrist scored Kyle Schwarber and then a single by Miguel Montero gave the Cubs an 8-6 lead. The Indians would score one run in the bottom half of the inning, but fell short, giving the Cubs their first World Series championship in 108 years.
That game seven could very well go down as the single greatest game ever played in the history of Major League Baseball. The Cubs’ 2016 championship could be the greatest achievement in Baseball history possibly sports history. Yes, winning the World Series is special for any team that wins, but this one was different. Some might say that “the curse of the billy goat” has been lifted. In reality, there was no curse or evil spell, just a franchise whose fans desperately craved a championship. Well, now you have one Chicago.