Womens Soccer

Nathan Johnson, Reporter

Well, it is about time for the women’s soccer season to start. At the School, we take pride in all of our sports and women’s soccer is no different. Men’s soccer had a great season, and that has done nothing but contribute to interest and excitement about most of the other sports at the School. The success of the men’s soccer team will likely bring a lot of momentum into Coach Miottel’s consecutive soccer season. The approaching season is no doubt exciting for the seniors on the team as it will, of course, be their final season on the team. These seniors include: Madeline Dyke, Ruthie DeWitt, Lauren McCormack, Bea Rose, Madeira T, Kathryn T, and Isabel Wrubel. Seniors of every sports team are tasked with leadership roles and the women’s soccer team is no different. The rest of the team consists of Essemena Atherton in 10th grade, Maclaine Bamburger in 10th grade, Anya Batra in 10th grade, Sophia Cavalieri in 10th grade, Joanna Fisch in 10th grade, Dana Gillis in 11th grade, among others. The seniors of the team will be tasked with being the moral and physical leaders of this bunch, not an easy task given the strength of competition at the varsity level. One concern for the soccer team ever since it has moved from the spring to winter season has been rain. Already this winter, there has been plenty of rain. Getting practices in can be difficult; in addition, games often get rained out at the last minute. When this happens, it becomes difficult to stay focused and interested over the season because the team is not getting game experience and the practices get canceled. Although it is still possible to get individual practice, the team cannot develop chemistry because the field is often too wet to play. Regardless, the players and coaches must stay focused and play through wonky practice times and difficult weather. “It’s looking good, for the first week” says Junior Dana Gillis. “Everyone has been getting along really well.” Good luck to the women’s soccer team on what will hopefully be a super exciting and successful season