Women’s March

Tai Tran, Reporter

The Women’s March on January 21, 2017 sent a strong message to President Trump that many were concerned with his rhetoric and policy plans. The Women’s March movement spawned from a Facebook post by Teresa Shook of Hawaii just after Mr. Trump’s election. Though it is a ‘Women’s March,’ marchers are taking to the streets for a variety of reasons. Some are marching to promote LGBTQ rights, others for workers, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, and many other issues.

Over five million people around the world participated in the march. Washington D.C. had the largest turnout of more than 470,000 people. Attendance in New York City was more than 400,000, according to Mayor Bill de Blasio’s office. Attendance in Boston was 175,000, according to Nicole Caravella, a spokeswoman for Mayor Martin J. Walsh. The Bay Area also had a strong showing with over 60,000 marchers in Oakland and over 100,000 in San Francisco.

During the march, both male and female marchers could be seen wearing pink “pussy hats” complete with cat ears as a unique visual statement. The collective use of these hats was a unifier among those who view the new President as a misogynist.   

Additionally, celebrity speakers such as Scarlett Johansson, Madonna, Michael Moore, and Alicia Keys were among the thousands activists that came out to support the march. A great quote by America Ferrera summarizes some of the ideals that the march was fighting for: “It’s been a heart-rending time to be both a woman and an immigrant in this country, But the president is not America. His cabinet is not America. Congress is not America. We are America! And we are here to stay.”

Signs and phrases like “Get your Tiny Hands off my Body”, “Women Rights are Human Rights”, “Respect Existence or Expect Resistance”, and “You are not my President” could be seen at rallies held for the Women’s March. These signs motivate the demonstrators and represent their cause.

Although this was a massive turnout for the Women’s March, their goal is not close to being completed.  They have a campaign to do “10 actions for the first 100 days”.  The goal is to have a separate action every 10 days for the next 100 days to promote issues that matter to their individual supporters.  The first action is to, “Write a postcard to your Senators about what matters most to you- and how you’re going to continue to fight for it.” They will continue to post new actions on their website in the weeks ahead. As it says on their website, “our march forward doesn’t end here.”