Dodging Balls

John Novogradac, Senior Web Editor

Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge. Every year, the School hosts a dodgeball tournament where teachers and students create teams and play against each other. The rules regarding making teams are pretty loose but have some restrictions. For example, each team must have an even ratio of guys to girls. This creates an equal opportunity for all the students to participate. Unfortunately, this year the dodgeball tournament was canceled due to safety concerns and the neighbors.

During last year’s tournament, two students were racing for a ball that was in the middle of the court. The students ran into each other and one broke his nose. Additionally, the School’s neighbors complain regularly about the noise and general unrest created by school events. As the dodgeball tournament is one of the more rambunctious and noisy school events, the School’s neighbors are not huge fans of it.

However, some senior students decided to take matters into their own hands, and created a petition to bring back the annual dodgeball tournament tradition. This petition succeeded in bringing back dodgeball and the School is going to host the annual dodgeball games during school hours. However, the scheduled date for the dodgeball tournament was moved because of conflicting dates with the volleyball championship. During Monday’s morning meeting, Ms. Mckenna said that the School now hopes to hold the tournament during late February’s spirit week. Hopefully, the dodgeball tournament will return better than ever.