New Spring Sports and Coaches

Cameron Chin, Reporter

The School’s spring sports season is well underway, and many teams have already started to have practices and games. Many teams with their respective coaches are returning for another season. Track is being coached by Carl Kadlic, who is taking over as head coach this year but has worked with the Track team for five years. Men’s and Women’s Swimming is coached by Dirk ten Grotenhuis, who is returning for his fourth season as head coach. Women’s Softball is being coached by third-year coach Zoe Oliver Grey. Women’s Lacrosse, which is in its second season, has been coached both years by Rachel Sunday. Lastly, Men’s Baseball is being run by Mike Talps, who has worked with the School’s athletic department for almost 40 years. There are also a few teams this spring that are either new altogether or under new coaches.

One additional spring team was added this year: Men’s Lacrosse. There have been Middle School Men’s Lacrosse teams for the last four seasons, but there was finally enough interest to form an Upper School team this year after a 10 year hiatus. This year’s team is headed by Coach Morgan May, who is a fifth grade teacher in the Lower School coaching lacrosse for his second year at the School. The team this year is young, consisting of mostly Freshmen, but May acknowledges team Captains Senior Sawyer Thompson and Junior Andrew Burwick as excellent leaders of the group. For Coach May, the primary goals for this season are for the “team to grow as a cohesive unit and be competitive in every game [they] play,” which they are well on their way to accomplishing.

One team that is under a new head coach is Junior Varsity Men’s Tennis, headed by Coach Lance Wu. This is his first year coaching at the School. So far, he describes his time coaching at the School as “awesome” and appreciates the positive environment, which is “conducive to development in multiple areas.” He also praises the wealth of experience that Varsity Men’s Tennis coach William Kasoff brings to the tennis program, who has coached tennis at the School for nine years now. Coach Wu’s goals for the team are “to compete as hard as they can while maintaining a grammar of being that reflects well upon themselves and the school.”  
Another team under a new head coach is the Varsity Men’s and Women’s Golf team, which is being led by first-year coach Andrew-Latham Smith, who is a member of the School’s 2010 graduating class. [Insert grade level] and team member Jonathan Wu is optimistic that this year’s team will perform well following a winning season last year, saying the team is looking strong this year, with one freshman and three juniors joining the team. Additionally, he highlights Freshman Chris Wu and Junior Connor Neal as key players who will? greatly benefit the team, though everyone has the potential to deliver breakout performances. Coach Smith is impressed by the amount of experience the team brings despite him being a new coach, and believes that the team has “both the drive and maturity to get the job done this season and win the title.”