The Dangers of Plastic Water Bottles

Link to story

Tai Tran, Reporter

Plastic bottles are being sold around the world every single day.  They are easily attainable in grocery stores, restaurants and gas stations.  However, there has been a recent concern about the safety of these water bottles. In fact, there could be a connection between drinking out of plastic water bottles and contracting cancer.

There are three hazards commonly found in plastic water bottles: Bisphenol A (BPA), Polyethylene terephthalate (PET), and Phthalates. Bisphenol A (BPA) is a chemical that plastic water bottle companies put into their bottles to prevent the soft bottles from cracking. However, this chemical can leach into the water when exposed to heat.  It is recognized as a cause of ovarian, prostate, and breast cancers. In addition, Bisphenol A (BPA) has been found to affect fetuses, infants and children’s brains, and prostate glands.

Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is another chemical compound that is used in plastic water bottles.  This chemical is free from Bisphenol A (BPA) but also has some health risks.  The water bottles have some fecal matter, saliva, and food residues in the plastic so they are hazardous when the bottles are re-used. This is a safety issue, but could be easily solved by tossing the plastic bottles into the recycling.  

Phthalates is another chemical found in plastic water bottles used to make plastic flexible.  This chemical also leaks into the water if it is there for a long period of time.  This could have some deadly side-effects: liver cancer, testicular atrophy, and sterility in males. Do you want to have kids? Don’t drink water from a plastic bottle.

It seems as if the use of plastic bottles is a fad of the past. Since recent research has unearthed some shocking evidence, I believe that more people will be aware of the dangers of chemicals leaking into their water and just toss their bottles into the recycling. The question remains: Should the School be selling plastic water bottles to its students? A good replacement for the plastic water bottles are glass water bottles, and they are a sustainable option, too.