My Fair Lady Review

Grace Williams, Reporter

This spring’s musical production at the School is a performance of Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe’s My Fair Lady, directed by Drama Teacher Kathleen Ray. The musical is about a young woman, Eliza Doolittle, who has an abnormal accent and decides to take linguistic lessons from a professor named Henry Higgins. The show focuses on the relationship between Eliza and Henry, and there are numerous other characters who appear along the way. The students rehearse four days a week from 3:30 to 5:30 for about five weeks, until the production itself in March and early April. Many students are working very hard on putting this production together, including students in Tech Theatre who are helping build props and set pieces for this show. For this particular production, Senior Aviva Davis plays Eliza, the leading female role. Davis remarks, “[Eliza] has to learn how to completely alter the way she speaks and behaved to meet societies standards.”

Uniquely, a number of middle school students included are in the show, something very rare for high school productions. The production team wanted to add middle schoolers to not only add diversity in age to the show, but also to make sure that the ensemble was full enough to work with. Davis adds, “Regarding diversity, when the play was performed in the mid 20th century, the cast was composed of thin, white actors. This year, we have a variety of body types and colors gracing the stage, and I couldn’t be more excited.” This is one of many things that makes this Spring Musical unique. Every grade is represented, including four Freshmen, three Sophomores, six Juniors, and seven Seniors. Roles in the production vary from ensemble roles to lead roles, but every student in the show has their own unique way to add to the production. Every student is encouraged to come and watch their classmates perform on Fridays March 24 and March 31, Saturdays March 25 and April 1, and Sunday, March 26  in the MEW.