Sophomores Can No Longer Park in the Lot

Nathan Johnson, Copy Editor

Most upperclassmen visiting the lot certainly have noticed that it has become increasingly crowded. This is largely awkward [due to a greater percentage of seniors showing up later due to it being the second semester for them.] Seniors have left time windows in the mornings for the new and abundant sophomore drivers These sophomores certainly have been a surprise for the not only the upperclassmen but also the administration. In recent memory, nothing close to this many sophomores had been parking in the lot. The sophomores have caused parking problems not only in regular parking spaces but also in the tandem spots with their senior siblings. While the administration would love to continue to allow sophomores in, they have to weigh giving that privilege with practicalities. For instance, if this problem were not to be solved at all, traffic would increase even further with people looking for spots in the lot; then, having to turn around and park on the street after having found that they are all already filled. This, of course, would only make the already irritable neighbors more unhappy.

Unfortunately, it seems that there is not really a middle-ground solution. It is pretty much impossible to let some of the sophomores in without letting others in; this would, without a doubt, only create more problems and additional complaining, as now many sophomores would have reason to be quite angry. Instead, the administration has decided to prohibit any underclassmen from parking in the lot. For the time being there has not much complaining. Parking spaces have once again opened up for upperclassmen and the sophomores have not made too big of a deal out of this change. Regardless of the reaction, one must ask: Is this fair? Simply put, I think it is. The School, as a private institution, can put into place any rules within California and Federal law. In addition, the sophomores will only have to wait a few more months before they will be allowed to park as upperclassmen. Overall, it seems that justice was served.