9 spots on play

As the new school year begins, so does the production for the fall play. This year, the drama department presents “The Importance of Being Earnest” by Oscar Wilde, directed by Kathleen Ray. The play is the story of two bachelors, John ‘Jack’ Worthing and Algernon ‘Algy’ Moncrieff, who both use an alter ego named Earnest in order to escape their tiresome lives. The two set out to find love as Jack meets Gwendolyn, and Algy has his heart set on Cecily. In this production, the elaborate plot  found on a modern stage will keep the audience wanting more.

While most plays that Kathleen Ray has directed are written for three or four people, she usually casts many people. This production is different as the cast list is made up of nine actors who  have already auditioned for their spots. The actors cast list includes Jack Pflieger, Avery Lemoine, Lee Camp, Jonah Salazar, Finn Patterson, Julian Garman, Sadie Ellis-Caleo, Kaylyn Beckford, and Karina Ravipati. Ray explains that the idea for the play came as, “It’s a play every high school does,  it’s very famous, and it’s also very respected in the English department.” This year was when she finally had the chance to direct a play that she had been waiting the right time for.

For those interested, tickets for “The Importance of Being Earnest” will be available online $5.00 for adults and $3.00 for students. Performances will be held on Fridays and Saturdays, November 3, 4, 10, and 11 at 8:00 in the MEW. Show up to support your classmates as they put all their hard work into practicing for two months. Hope to see you there!