Damages Done by the California Fires

Eloise Henry, Video Staff

Due to extreme winds, the raging Napa fires have so far burned more than 220,000 acres of land, causing devastation to people in the Napa, Sonoma, and Mendocino Counties and air quality warnings in San Francisco. According to NPR, at least 75,000 people have been left without power, and many more have no idea if their house or street is even still there. 20,000 people have evacuated, over 200 people have been reported missing, and so far, 42 deaths have been declared. The main cause of this fire is the intense winds, which only fuel the fire and make it even harder to put out. The winds also blew the smoke into other areas, which is why the smog has been sitting over the bay for the past few days, making the air quality so terrible. However, it is still a far better situation than in the City of Napa, where on their website it is recommended to wear an N95 gas mask, to protect against both the harmful smoke and the chemicals being spread. According to the Washington Post, a major disaster declaration has been approved by President Donald Trump after Governor Jerry Brown sent a five page letter to Trump asking for aid. In addition to the property damage, the fires dealt a blow to the multi-billion dollar wine and tourism industries, making the effects of the fire long term.