NFL Week 6 Update

Lilly Richards, Sports Reporter

The Bay Area had a sad week in football. The Forty-Niners looked like they were about to come back from a 17-0 halftime deficit, and eventually tied it up at 17-17, but unfortunately they could not hold on and lost 26-24. The Raiders, on the other hand, were leading the whole game, only falling behind with zero seconds left when Chargers kicker Nick Novak kicked a 32 yard field goal to put the Chargers ahead by one.

We will all remember where we were in space when we heard the news: Aaron Rodgers is out for the season. Aaron Rodgers was carted off the field in the third quarter after suffering a major hit and breaking his collarbone. The Packers went on to lose to their division rivals 10-23. I urge you, wherever you are, to participate in a moment of silence for the season of one of the most respected players in all of football.

Another quarterback that hurt his shoulder this week is Jameis Winston. He sprained his shoulder and is currently day-to-day. Leonard Fournette is day-to-day as well after spraining his ankle. Emmanuel Sanders for the Broncos has a possible fracture in his ankle and is estimated to miss four-six weeks.

On a lighter note, here are this week’s breakouts:

The biggest breakout by far of this week is a player you would never suspect. Trevor Siemian surprised everyone in his game against the Titans. He led Week Six with a colossal 378 yards of passing with a completion percentage of 58. He also threw a touchdown. There is room for improvement, as he threw two picks, but this game shows that he has big plans for the future with the Broncos.

Another very surprising breakout this week was Jets quarterback Josh McCown. He threw for 345 yards against the suddenly and unexplainably trash Patriots secondary with a completion percentage of 66. McCown also came in second on the Jets in rushing yards with 21, which is only one yard less than their top running backs: Matt Forte and Elijah McGuire. He also gave five of his receivers 45 or more yards and threw two touchdowns. While he did throw two interceptions, this is by far his best game of the year.

Jordan Howard had an incredible game against the solid Ravens run defense. He recorded a year high of 167 yards on 36 carries, averaging 4.6 yards per carry. Howard has been inconsistent this year, with a range of his seven yard game to this week’s 167 yard game. However, with Mitchell Trubisky still finding his footing in the NFL, the Jordan Howard is left to lead the team, despite this being just his second year out of college. Howard led the team to a close 27-24 victory.

After a subpar game against the Eagles in Week Five, Larry Fitzgerald played incredible against the Buccaneers on Sunday, receiving for 138 yards and a touchdown. He averaged almost 14 yards per reception and caught 10 out of his 11 targets to lead the Cardinals to a 38-33 victory. Fitzgerald has been very inconsistent this season, having three games with 35 or less and two games with 135 or more. You decide whether you want to take that risk next week when he faces the Rams.

Le’Veon Bell went off this week to help the Steelers beat the undefeated Chiefs. He rushed for a season high of 179 yards on 32 attempts, averaging 5.6 yards per carry. He also rushed for a touchdown at the beginning of the second quarter to give the Steelers the lead. He has had a few disappointing games this season, but he is still capable of being the offensive powerhouse he was last year.

Lastly, the whole Titans offense played exceptional to beat the Colts on Monday night. Marcus Mariota threw for 306 yards and a touchdown. Derrick Henry went off for 131 yards on 19 carries and a touchdown, and DeMarco Murray had 40 yards of rushing with a touchdown and 47 yards of receiving. Eric Decker had 88 yards, Ryan Mathews had 69 yards, and Trent Taylor had 61 yards and a touchdown. This young offense is finally finding their rhythm, and they just proved they should be taken very seriously.

Melvin Gordon was insane against the Raiders this week, rushing for 83 yards and a touchdown and receiving for 67 yards and a touchdown. He averaged After a disappointing 2016 season, Melvin Gordon is proving to be a vital part of the Chargers offense.

Some honorable mentions include: Mark Ingram with 114 yards and two touchdowns; Todd Gurley with 116 yards; Leonard Fournette with 130 yards and a touchdown; Jay Ajayi with 130 yards; and Kirk Cousins with 330 yards and two touchdowns.

Here are some of the scrubs of this week:

Tyreek Hill did not perform as well as he has in the past in the Chiefs first loss on Sunday. He received for 34 yards on five receptions. His long of the game was only 10 yards, and he had no touchdowns. However, I am sure that he can bounce back in Week Seven. Every team has their off games, and I am sure that the chiefs can come back from this one.

Jonathan Stewart was a huge bust in Week Six with -4 yards of rushing and zero yards of receiving. While the Panthers’ running game was bailed out by Cam Newton’s incredible performance, Stewart’s performance could prove detrimental to their offense, especially with the absence of Greg Olsen.

DeAndre Hopkins also did not play up to his standards against the Browns. With just two receptions and only four targets, Hopkins recorded a mere 19 yards. If he can get shut down and covered by the Browns secondary, he will have a difficult time next week against the dominant Seahawks secondary.

I know it will be hard to watch football without Aaron Rodgers, but we can get through it if we stick together. Good luck in Week Seven!