The student news site of Head-Royce School.

7000 Kids in 5 Years

March 16, 2018

I’ve been struggling to try to find the words that wrap up everything into less than a minute. I keep looking through Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook looking for someone else’s words who can capture mine better than I possibly could, but all I kept seeing was their tweets and posts.

I saw Joaquin Oliver’s year anniversary post for his girlfriend and Alyssa Alhadeff’s club soccer photos. I read about coach Feis, who worked three jobs to support his family. I watched videos of Meadow Polkack’s brothers and father telling the President of the United States that they will NEVER see her again. I scrolled through articles talking about Anthony Borges, the freshman who defended his classmates with his own body and has been in the hospital ever since.

These people were us. They snapchatted and did their homework and debated whether or not that extra five minutes of sleep was truly worth it. If we allow politicians to continue to ignore common sense gun laws, eventually the shooting won’t be 2,558 miles away.

7000 kids: that’s how many have died because of gun violence since Sandy Hook, and it will only grow. #NeverAgain can we let children with guns kill children with pens. NEVER AGAIN. NEVER AGAIN. NEVER AGAIN. MARCH EXERCISE YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE. SPEAK AND MAKE NOISE.