The Hawk's Eye

Thoughts on the Golden Globes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Thoughts on the Golden Globes

Sydney Stewart, Web Editor

First of all, the Golden Globes, in my view, were meh this year, perhaps because of the movies or maybe just because of the speeches/hosts. In truth, I haven’t watched a lot of the television that was nominated, but I have seen nearly all of the movies. I was honestly pretty surprised by a lot of the wins, so I decided to go through all of the movie categories.

Best Motion Picture – Animated

I was delighted to see a Disney movie lose this year. That almost never happens! While I haven’t seen Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse yet, I can confidently say that I do not think that Ralph Breaks the Internet is deserving of critical acclaim, nor was Incredibles 2 (especially when compared to original film). Additionally, Timothee Chalamet loved the new Spider-Man movie, so I think I can trust him.

Best Original Score – Motion Picture

Ok, well I really think that A Quiet Place was very deserving of winning this Golden Globe. I felt like despite not having nearly any dialogue, the movie’s tension was heightened through the use of music. Although, Justin Hurwitz was the film composer behind La La Land and Whiplash (which is one of my favorite movies), so I can also get behind this win.

Best Original Song – Motion Picture

“Shallow,” A Star Is Born was the obvious winner this year. Given the commercial success of the film and general bop-iness of the song itself, I was rooting for Lady Gaga to take home this award. I will say, though, that I love some Dolly Parton (“Girl in the Movies”), but this song doesn’t compare to “Jolene” in any way, so was it deserving of a win in my view? No.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture

Let me tell you, I was about to stop watching if Regina King didn’t win for her acting in If Beale Street Could Talk. Number one, she’s Regina King. Number two, I was close to tears during one of the key scenes with Regina King. She captures both a maternal care and concern for her son-in-law, but also knowing the value of believing victims of rape. 10/10 deserved. If anyone else were to even have a chance at the Oscars in the next two months, it’s Amy Adams for her role in Vice. Amy Adams eventually needs to get some well-earned credit for her acting, but it’s not her year yet. Regina King should also get a second (imaginary) Golden Globe for giving the best speech of the night.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture

Mahershala Ali won for his portrayal of real life Dr. Shirley in Green Book. Get yourself ready because I have some Thoughts. Ok, so I saw Green Book and thought to myself, “Wow, what a lovely movie about people overcoming their differences and people not being racist anymore!” However, I recently read this article about how Dr. Shirley, who died in 2013, did not consent to the movie being made when he was approached in the early 2010s’, nor was his family given any say in the making of the film. That is, the movie is merely a Hollywood dramatization (or really a Hollywood fantasy) of Dr. Shirley’s life, in which he remained in constant contact with his brothers, faced constant racism from his colleagues, and never kept a driver or fellow musician for more than a couple weeks. So, do I think that he deserved to win for his acting? Yes. Do I think that the movie deserves any critical acclaim? No. Additionally, I was betting on Adam Driver or Richard E. Grant to take home the award. They were both fantastic (so were Timothee Chalamet and Sam Rockwell, but acting-wise I think they were perhaps the weakest more so because of the writing), and I sincerely hope that one of them wins at the Oscars.

Best Screenplay – Motion Picture

First of all, where is BlacKkKlansman? That’s my first question because it was by far the most clever movie I’ve seen all year. See my above rant about Green Book to understand why it most certainly should not have won. Of these movies, I think The Favourite should’ve won because it was cleverly divided into parts and had some nice twists that I didn’t see coming.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy

Of all these actors, Christian Bale was by far the best actor nominated. From his physical transformation to his subtle mannerisms and lack of talking (but in a way where you knew exactly what Dick Cheney was thinking), he was brilliant. I didn’t particularly like Vice as a film, but the actors were all outstanding and I’m glad that he got some credit.

Best Picture – Foreign Language

Roma was the obvious winner in this category.

Best Director – Motion Picture

I was a bit disappointed to not see Bradley Cooper or Spike Lee win; however, Alfonso Cuaron deserved the award.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy

Can I just say, I was rooting for Constance Wu! I was so upset that Crazy Rich Asians didn’t take home any awards since I thought it was such a fun time. On the other hand, I understand why Olivia Colman won. She was really good in The Favourite, constantly battling her love for both women, the power that she held, and her mental instability.

Best Picture – Comedy or Musical

No, Green Book should not have won. Crazy Rich Asians should’ve won if we’re measuring by commercial success, Vice should’ve won if we’re measuring by acting, and The Favourite should’ve won if we’re measuring by cleverness. In none of my calculations should Green Book have won. But whatever, it’s fine. In truth, I don’t think Green Book is going to do well at the Oscars, so as I said, it’s fine.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama

I have not seen The Wife, but I’m sure Glenn Close was amazing. I’m getting it from Netflix this weekend, so I’ll be up to date when I write my Oscar predictions. Of these actresses, I think Melissa McCarthy should’ve won for Can You Ever Forgive Me? because she was able to convey internal struggle with what she was doing, but also not being able to find work. Her film was also one of the only films I’ve ever seen where the criminal is truly a “I work better alone” character, rather than the traditional “I work better alone, but will eventually come to love my team and understand teamwork makes the dream work” trope. So, I was really rooting for her. Also, Melissa McCarthy deserves to win if ONLY for her amazing acting in Life of the Party (to be honest, I did enjoy Life of the Party, it’s a fun time).

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama

Rami Malek was really good in Bohemian Rhapsody, but was he as good as John David Washington in BlacKkKlansman? Absolutely not. Bohemian Rhapsody was in general just an inferior movie, but Rami Malek, although he did do justice to Freddie Mercury, didn’t have the same depth as John David Washington, who had to reconcile wanting liberation for his people, but also working for the police. To have the internal struggle of being the oppressed and the oppressor made his performance really funny. Additionally, his white voice on the phone that he used when talking to David Duke ALONE should’ve won him the Golden Globe.

Best Picture – Drama

BlacKkKlansman or If Beale Street Could Talk should’ve won. I thought this was the biggest upset of the night, honestly. Bohemian Rhapsody? Really? I was big confused by this choice because, while it was enjoyable and what not, it didn’t evoke any kind of emotional response from me. Also, if a movie about music was going to win A Star Is Born should’ve won since I was bawling my eyes out at the end. Again, though, BlacKkKlansman or If Beale Street Could Talk should’ve won because they were both clever movies with amazing acting and plots. I actually didn’t really like Bohemian Rhapsody because I didn’t feel like it had much of a plot (but maybe that was just the lack of dialogue that was replaced with long concert montages….).