The Hawk's Eye

Not so Special

Back to Article
Back to Article

Not so Special

Lucas Tucker, Reporter

The enormous panels in the math room project intense artificial light onto us students as we receive white packets of paper from the teacher. Our once laughing faces are now stiff as stones, each with an expression solely based off of the circled fraction written in red pen on our packet of paper. All of the anxiety, stress, and anger put into the performance of the assessments are disregarded and that one fraction is all that matters. Kids with higher fractions leave their packets of papers face up so that everyone can see their score, whereas kids with lower fractions quickly tuck the packets of paper into their binders, and try their best to pretend that nothing has happened.

“You’re more prepared”, “your skills will be sharper”, “you’ll be a better student”, is constantly repeated to the students attending this rigorous prep school. But what about having a genuine high school experience? God forbid a few kids don’t spend every waking minute of their lives thinking about that next test or project. Where did all of the stereotypical jocks, pot-smokers, and genuinely nice kids go? I suppose we all dissolved into the ‘geek’ class in the high school social hierarchy, figuring that nerds rule the world, so why not get off to a good start? I strongly believe that this ‘good’ start is not rooted solely in academic intellect, but is sourced from social behavior as well. It seems that many of us have forgotten about the human aspects to important jobs in this country, and we have instead turned our children’s minds into little problem-solving robots. Sure, it’s nice to receive a solid grade on that science project, but isn’t it nicer to practice self-advocacy, so that when you get to college, you can figure out your schedule and ask for assistance to optimize your classes? I am convinced that intense pressure is being overly applied to only part of what makes us efficient workers, and has played a major part in the depreciation of teenage mental stability in addition to sparking an increase in anxiety and stress, as evidenced by the several kids that can be found puking or having a panic attack outside of the math and science classrooms.

Unfortunately, many parents are blinded by this insatiable desire to obtain some preeminent GPA, and this causes them to reprimand their children in order to gain validation for having a “Harvard kid”, even though that kid might have to suffer.