What Should We Do To Stop the Spread?

Kirsten Ishii, Section Editor

The coronavirus has recently become the center of many lives. The impact of the virus has reached new heights: the number of people infected with the virus has multiplied, and the School has implemented distance learning, something that has caused feelings of anxiety amongst some in the School community. However, there are several things we can do as individuals to slow the spread and stay safe.

Anyone can choose to take even the smallest of steps to prevent further spread of the coronavirus. Here are a few steps you can take to stay safe:

1. People are saying it all the time, so “wash your hands”. Washing your hands for at least 20 seconds reduces your risk and the risk of the people around you of contracting the virus. For more information, here’s the link to a video that explains the details of handwashing. 
  2. Avoid touching your face unless you just washed your hands.
  3. Avoid close contact with others. The coronavirus spreads through respiratory droplets from an infected person’s cough or sneeze, meaning being close to people as they cough or sneeze may not be the best for your health. Granted, this step should be easier with a shelter in place order and distance learning, but even when you are going for a walk or to the grocery store, try to maintain a large personal space bubble. Many students may want to spend time with their friends, but social distancing will have little effect if not everyone is doing it.
  4. Often clean and disinfect surfaces that you or other people touch. According to Aylin Woodward, a writer for Business Insider, new research as of March 17th suggests that the virus can live on surfaces for anywhere between a few hours to a few days. Keeping these surfaces clean limits the opportunity for the coronavirus to infect you.

Most importantly, remember even if you are not at risk, some people are. Whether or not these are people you know, they could just happen to be affected by your actions. So, try to keep up the good work and focus on staying healthy so that others can stay healthy too.