GOA Catalyst for Change

Hollis Williams, Reporter

For the past two months, sophomores history students conducted research on a long-standing social injustice in the United States. They picked an issue that interested them, researched the history of the issue, the current iteration of the problem, and possible solutions on micro and macro levels. 

For the final step of the project, each student created a webpage that was featured in the fifth annual Catalyst Conference, hosted by Global Online Academy (GOA). The conference was live from April 23-27 and featured more than 400 projects produced by students from 76 GOA sponsored schools. Throughout the conference, students were able to view projects from students all over the U.S. and around the world and provide feedback.  

All projects are reviewed by a panel of experts who then award projects that stand out among the others. This year, GOA citations were awarded to 83 projects that best aligned with the goals of the conference: raising awareness and promoting grassroots action and institutional change. Students can also be awarded the Audience Award, which was awarded to four students last year including two from the School. This award is given to projects that highly engaged their audience and prompted participation from their peers in the conference. The final award that students can receive is the Catalyst for Change Prize, which is awarded to the students with the best tangible solutions with the ability to facilitate change. 

See some examples of web pages from the students below.

The Racial Wealth Gap  – Madison Harvey

Animal WelfareSoraya Katzev 

Money in PoliticsJack Chin